Moon Belize (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
On Our Shelves Now
With turquoise waters, dreamlike islands, and pristine rainforests, Belize is a sensory feast. Dive in with Moon Belize. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible itineraries, from the weeklong best of Belize to three weeks exploring the whole country
- Strategic advice for water sports lovers, foodies, wildlife enthusiasts, and more, plus suggestions for supporting local businesses and exploring ethically and sustainably
- The top outdoor adventures: Hike rainforests filled with medicinal trees and howler monkeys, snorkel the second-largest coral reef in the world, go spelunking in ancient underground caves, or hop through the vibrant cayes
- Unique experiences and can't-miss highlights: Canoe to a farmers market to sample fresh pupusas and cashew wine, and cool off beneath the waterfalls. Marvel at Mayan archaeological sites or experience a traditional homestay in Punta Gorda. Relax on the beach all day, and spend your night dancing barefoot in the sand to the sound of Garifuna drums
- Honest advice on when to go, what to pack, and where to stay, from Belize expert Lebawit Lily Girma
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Essential background on the landscape, climate, wildlife, and culture, plus handy phrases in Kriol, Garifuna, and Q'eqchi' Mayan
- Helpful recommendations for health and safety, traveling solo, and suggestions for LGBTQ visitors, travelers with disabilities, and seniors
Looking to expand your trip? Try Moon Yucatán Peninsula or Moon Costa Rica.
About the Author
Born in Ethiopia, Lebawit Lily Girma was nine months old when her parents moved to the West African country of Côte d'Ivoire. She has loved travel ever since: exploring cultures and learning languages on various continents, including Europe and the Americas.
After practicing law in the U.S., Lily took a leap of faith to pursue her passions: travel, writing, and photography. After a three-week visit to Belize in 2010, she was determined to return. A year later, Lily was commissioned as an in-house writer and photographer for the Belize Tourism Board for three months. She explored Belize extensively, sharing her adventures through a collection of online articles, blogs, and photo essays. Belize's diverse cultures and people struck a chord and she returned to Belize for long-term stays while researching freelance articles on the country.
In addition to this title, Lily is the author of Moon Belize Cayes and Moon Dominican Republic, and her writing and photography have been published by CNN Travel, BBC Travel, Delta Sky, Sunday Times Travel Magazine, MorningCalm, Every Day with Rachael Ray, The Travel Channel, and AFAR, among others. She was also a major contributing writer and senior editor for the 2016-2017 edition of Destination Belize Magazine, Belize's main tourism publication.