Lonely Planet South America on a Shoestring (Paperback)
#1 best-selling guide to South America*
Lonely Planet South America on a shoestring is your passport to all the most relevant and up-to-date advice on what to see, what to skip, what hidden discoveries await you, and how to optimize your budget for an extended continental trip. Trek the Inca Trail to mysterious Machu Picchu, float down the mighty Amazon on a riverboat, or learn to tango in Buenos Aires, all with your trusted travel companion. Get to the heart of South America and begin your journey now
Inside Lonely Planet's South America on a shoestring Travel Guide:
- Color maps and images throughout
- Highlights and itineraries show you the simplest way to tailor your trip to your own personal needs and interests
- Insider tips save you time and money, and help you get around like a local, avoiding crowds and trouble spots
- Essential info at your fingertips - including hours of operation, phone numbers, websites, transit tips, and prices
- Budget-oriented recommendations with honest reviews - including eating, sleeping, sight-seeing, going out, shopping, and hidden gems that most guidebooks miss
- Cultural insights give you a richer and more rewarding travel experience - including history, music, cuisine, sports, wildlife, environment, architecture, literature, cinema, and current events.
- Over 179 maps
- Useful features - including If You Like, Month by Month (annual festival calendar), and Countries at a Glance
- Coverage of Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela.
The Perfect Choice: Lonely Planet South America on a shoestring is perfect for those planning to both explore the top sights and take the road less traveled.
- Looking for just a few of the destinations included in this guide? Check out the relevant Lonely Planet Travel Guides, our most comprehensive guides that both cover the top sights and take the roads less traveled, or Lonely Planet's Discover Guides, which are photo-rich guides to those destinations' most popular attractions.
Authors: Written and researched by Lonely Planet, Regis St Louis, Sandra Bao, Greg Benchwick, Celeste Brash, Gregor Clark, Alex Egerton, Bridget Gleeson, Beth Kohn, Carolyn McCarthy, Kevin Raub, Paul Smith and Lucas Vidgen.
About Lonely Planet: Started in 1973, Lonely Planet has become the world's leading travel guide publisher with guidebooks to every destination on the planet, as well as an award-winning website, a suite of mobile and digital travel products, and a dedicated traveler community. Lonely Planet's mission is to enable curious travelers to experience the world and to truly get to the heart of the places they find themselves in.
TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards 2012 and 2013 winner in Favorite Travel Guide category
'Lonely Planet guides are, quite simply, like no other.' - The New York Times
'Lonely Planet. It's on everyone's bookshelves; it's in every traveller's hands. It's on mobile phones. It's on the Internet. It's everywhere, and it's telling entire generations of people how to travel the world.' -Fairfax Media (Australia)
*Best-selling guide to South America. Source: Nielsen BookScan. Australia, UK and USA, April 2012 to March 2013.